On 17 May 2010, at 19:21, Carsten Munk wrote:

> Having cleaned up Maemo from single user reliance in the Mer project,
> I think it is also important that we early on set as policy that for
> instance:
>
> * Installing/in pre or post scripts in a package into /home/meego/ ,
> just because we assume it's single user, is bad form
> * Assuming that install scripts are run in an interactive environment
> / ability to pop up dialogs and interact with user (to some extent,
> pre-set defaults should be OK), is bad form
> * Hardcoding /home/meego/ in code or scripts in applications, is bad form.

This shouldn't be an issue on meego. I'm imagining the installation process
will be similar (at least on the netbook release) to the moblin2 process. As
part of that, anaconda is run and you get to setup your own user account. Any
files intended for the user directory by the system are in the /etc/skel.

The phone may well be similar in that the image is created with a user after
all the /etc/skel files are setup.

> It was really insane how much this abuse had grown in Maemo over the
> years, including in user applications. Making the system/platform
> difficult to port and maintain.

I'm not sure what processes are in place to prevent this, but I'd imaging
depending on a hardcoded user directory would be something that the guys
managing the repo's would have to watch out for and block before allowing
community packages into the repo.
--
Glen Gray
<sla...@slaine.org>