----- "Kevron Rees" <kevron_m_r...@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have some questions on implementation of gps on meego, I asked
> on
> >> IRC and was pointed this way...
> >>
> >> So while googling I noted that both gpsd and gypsy are installed
> in
> >> the IVI version of meego (which I verified was true).  Some of the
> >> messages I came across suggest gypsy is the *default* solution
> >>
> (http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/meego-packaging/2010-July/000429.html)
> >> -- but I couldn't find any place talking about how it connects to
> >> gps device.  Could some explain how that works?
> >>
> >> Also, if gypsy is the default -- is there a reason navit (which
> has
> >> support for gypsy) isn't configured for it?  ie: source="gypsy
> >> ://connectstring" -gypsy, instead of source=gpsd...  which is what
> is
> >> there now.
> >>
> > BTW,
> >
> > I am *attempting* to use Meego in an actual carpc setup...  I have
> it
> > installed
> > right now and am trying to work out the issues/bugs as I come across
> them.
> > So
> > hoepfully I don't/won't annoy any one :}
> >
> > Nasa
>
> Hi nasa,
>
> gypsy requires some application to have knowledge of the device and to
> set
> it up via the gypsy dbus api.  I was told that gypsy should really be
> used
> with some sort of management layer like geoclue which I assume has
> some
> sort of configuration that it reads.
>
> In IVI, this management layer should start automatically when an
> application requests a gps fix (via the dbus launching mechanism).  I
> don't know if this is the case however.
>
> Hope that helps.  As I understand, the qt-mobility location backend
> for
> meego will be geoclue/gypsy.  So that should at least abstract
> application
> writers from having to know the details of the device.
>
> cheers,
> -Kevron

Thanks Kevron,

so I get gypsy/geoclue and I noted that navit can/does use gypsy (not sure
about geoclue).  It seems unclear to me (and I guess you as well) how to
configure gpysy to use an actual gps device.  Looking on gypsy's website
( http://gypsy.freedesktop.org/wiki/ ) doesn't help with figuring that out.
And, of course, geoclue is another layer above gypsy.

I also thought I read somewhere that geoclue works with gpsd...  Is that
correct?

Nasa