Hi Dave,
On Sep 15, 2010, at 1:51 AM, Dave Neary wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Skarpness, Mark wrote:
>> It actually does matter to those deploying devices.  A few examples of why:
>>
>> If compliant apps are allowed to have external dependencies - then
>> someone has to pay to host and maintain those dependencies so they are
>> available worldwide to many millions of devices.
>
> Won't that be the MeeGo repository?
No, probably not - the meego project infrastructure is not set up to support
commercial product deployments.  The device vendor and / or service provider
would need to host this (as they would also host updates, etc).

But my point was really that this decision does matter and does have an impact
- if we allow applications to have external dependencies then someone has to
pay to host them in a commercially scalable and reliable way.

>> As someone building a device - how do I know how much storage is required
>> for the OS in order to run compliant apps (as Arjan pointed out earlier in
>> the thread)?
>
> This reminds me of an epiphany I had a few years ago when working with a
> buy who was an embedded developer. He told me stories about doing
> real-time development & having to turn off all caching for the OS and
> applications for an embedded application that was going into space - it
> didn't matter that the average response time was going to be increased
> from 0.01s to 0.5s, what mattered was that he could give, with absolute
> certainty, a *maximum* response time. Being better in theory was less
> important than being predictable & reproducible.
Yes, we are in a similar situation - being able to tell someone building a
device the maximum space required for the OS is more important than having the
most optimal solution for the size of apps + OS (though we should look at
creative ways of achieving both).

> In theory, depending on external apps will raise the average space used
> when installing 100 apps, but it does not give any decent way to
> evaluate the maximum space that will be needed for 100 apps. However,
> including all dependencies in packages will always give a higher space
> requirement for the 100 apps than splitting them out... either all
> dependencies are used by exactly one package (in which case the result
> of including them or splitting them is the same) or at least one
> dependency is shared by at least two packages (in which case splitting
> them out is better). There is no situation where having
> separately-packaged dependencies will use more space than dependencies
> wrapped in the package.
>
> It occurs to me that going in this direction would be like returning to
> the early days of Linux when there were no dominant distributions or
> common base packages or decent dependency resolution, and WordPerfect,
> Applix, Oracle and all the other commercial apps that started supporting
> Linux used to ship huge statically linked packages. Can we all agree
> that the world was a worse place for Linux users back then?
Yes - but  we are in a better position that that - via compliance, we are going
to provide a guaranteed set of packages that will be available on every device.

And I'm hopeful we can find a creative solution to make this really work better
while still meeting the needs of everyone using MeeGo.

> <snip>
>
>> Absolutely - but MeeGo also needs to meet the needs of people
>> building commercial device products and applications - so the rules for
>> how you build and distribute that GPL application may be a bit different
>> then they would be for a "standard" Linux distro.
>
> I guess I can assume that most people here have not been in the business
> of building commercial device products and applications - it seems like
> there are not a lot of people from that segment here to defend their own
> needs. Perhaps it would be useful to go over the core requirements that
> these constituencies have?
>
> I can get that a commercial application developer wants to be able to
> build a package which will install on any MeeGo device... we're not
> talking about requiring that people split off dependencies, but allowing
> that things can be done like that.
The problem is that once we allow it, then we require everyone building a
compliant device to support it.  Otherwise we will miss the primary objective
of compliance:  every compliant app will run on every compliant device.

> I can get that an app store might require these single packages for
> billing purposes, as you said. And I think that would be fine for anyone
> wanting to get into an app store.
But that would mean that app stores would not be able to sell all compliant
apps - which is not what we want.

> I'm still not very clear on what requirements a device
> vendor/distributor (or software strack provider) might want to impose on
> the software that would be installed on the device. Are there
> distributors who want to have a single approved source of applications
> for their devices that they support? And they don't want to be required
> to enable some wild hairy community repository? Or am I missing the point?
No, you are hitting on the key point - the decisions we make in compliance have
a direct impact on those building / distributing devices.  I've heard a few
concerns repeatedly when talking to people building and deploying devices:  "we
need to know the maximum footprint of the OS on the device", "whatever you do,
don't fragment - the compliance promise is critical", "delivering software to
devices in the field is complex and expensive - and needs to be managed
carefully"

> A clear list of the constraints & requirements of commercial developers
> & distributors would be, I think, useful.

Agree - we've received some good input indirectly and we need to continue to
encourage everyone to provide their feedback on the list.

Thanks,
-Mark