On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Skarpness, Mark
<mark.skarpn...@intel.com> wrote:

> As I said earlier in the thread - compliance isn't a statement of worth - it
>simply
> means that the app follows the rules of compliance so that it will run on any
> compliant device.

I think there is a big disconnect here...  I think the vast majority
of people - devs and users, *WILL* view 'compliance' as a statement of
worth...   A compliant app will be viewed as safer and better than a
non-compliant app by almost all users...  That's been the core driver
behind most of my posts here, and I suspect a lot of other people's.

If you really don't believe that 'compliance' will be viewed as a
statement of worth, why are you arguing so much about it's definition?

As several people have said, I think we need to establish exactly what
'app compliance' is trying to accomplish.   I think your goal is
something like 'inform commercial app developers and users which apps
will run on all meego compliant devices'.

Personally, I think that's a good goal, but that it isn't sufficient.
I think it also needs to cover "Inform users which apps will run
reliably on all systems that have access to the meego repository."

I definitely agree that we need to provide a way for commercial devs
to be successful...   but I think the beauty and power of a system
like MeeGo will also come from the open source devs, and we *need* a
way to indicate which of those applications are safe and reliable for
end users...

I also still haven't seen any discussion about the UX's here...   Is
the intent that a meego compliant app will run well on *all* UXs?

Warren

--
Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca