On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 05:56:00PM -0700, Christian Daudt wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Greg KH <gre...@suse.de> wrote:

> >> ? How is the UX going to be used without the components? I.e if the
> >> Meego apps/config/tools/etc... all rely on things like connman, what
> >> does Andrew mean when he says he is getting the "Meego UX to run on
> >> openSUSE without the meego stack" ?
> >
> > A number of different people/companies have gotten the Meego UX to run
> > without connman just fine, using networkManager. ?One company is
> > currently shipping such a beast and even calling it MeeGo :)
>
> What do you call Meego UX then exactly?

Who is "you", me?  I don't call it anything, I'm not doing this.  Novell
is one company that does ship a distro based on Intel's reference
platform, including ConnMan and calls it MeeGo as there are no changes.

> >> Does that mean all of the Meego applications ported to use SuSE stack,
> >> or does that mean just the Meego look-and-feel on the SuSE
> >> applications? People don't say they are using the KDE desktop without
> >> the KDE components, or running openSUSE without the openSUSE stack...
> >> How does that make sense in Meego?
> >
> > You can run the UX just fine on top of whatever distro you want
> > underneath it. ?It's just a gui/windowmanager/set-of-libraries and
> > binaries in the end, right?
> >

> Again, its a matter of what UX means. Of course its a set of
> gui/windowmanager/set-of-libraries/binaries, but the set that Andrew
> is referring to is not the same set as is available for download from
> repo.meego.com,

It is a sub-set.

> so the discrepancy between these sets does matter. You
> can say openSUSE is a set of applications+libraries+kernel - and if I
> release exactly the same as openSUSE, I can say I'm releasing
> openSUSE.

No, you can't call it openSUSE, that's against the openSUSE trademark
rules :)

But you _can_ say you based it on openSUSE.

> Now if I take out yast out and put other mgmt programs in it
> (connman?), can I still say I'm providing openSUSE? If I rebuild the
> sources debs instead of rpms, and use apt-get, can I still say its
> openSUSE? At some point it clearly stops being
> openSUSE/Meego/Whatever. Where do you think that point is?

Wait, no one is saying that Smeegol is "providing MeeGo" at all.  It's
just "based on" it.

Big difference.

We aren't looking for any "compliance" ruling for Smeegol either, as
that ship has a long way to go before it leaves the dock.

thanks,

greg k-h