From: meego-dev-boun...@meego.com [mailto:meego-dev-boun...@meego.com] On
Behalf Of Thiago Macieira
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:53 AM
To: meego-dev@meego.com
Subject: [MeeGo-dev] Touch support in X (was: QtMobility has branched)

Em Sexta-feira 15 Outubro 2010, às 10:43:48, Thiago Macieira escreveu:
> Em Quarta-feira 06 Outubro 2010, às 10:54:39, Thiago Macieira escreveu:
> > So we're not going to update to X.org 1.10? This will seriously
> > impact any plans to provide proper touch support. If we're not
> > upgrading to X.org 1.10 in  MeeGo 1.2, we'll get out of "headless
> > chicken" mode for now and plan proper touch support for MeeGo 1.3.
> >
> > Taking the cue from:
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/xorg-de...@lists.x.org/msg12373.html
>
> I still need a position here: is MeeGo 1.2 going to use X.org 1.10?

Due to the lack of reply, given the indications I've heard in private emails
and given the above email from the xorg-devel mailing list, I have to
conclude that MeeGo 1.2 will not upgrade to X.org 1.10.

That means proper touch support will not exist before MeeGo 1.3, about one
year from now. That's assuming that X.org 1.10 has the solution, which is
unlikely if we're not going to use it, or that MeeGo 1.3 uses X.org 1.11,
which will have the solution. If MeeGo 1.3 uses X.org 1.10 and the solution
isn't implemented by then, we're looking at 1½ years until we have proper
touch support in MeeGo.

With that in mind, I recommend MeeGo 1.2 take the following two codebases:

1) mtev input driver for X.org:
        http://gitorious.org/xorg/xf86-input-mtev/trees/master

This driver reads MT events from the /dev/input/* devices and produces a
stream of XInput 2.0 events modified to support delivery of multiple
touchpoints.

2) branch of Qt to read XInput 2.0 touch events:
        http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/multitouch-and-gestures

This branch contains a major rewrite of all mouse / pointer support in Qt to
use XInput 2.0. It matches the touch events delivered by the mtev driver
above. It is known to work with some touchscreens as well as normal mice,
but extensive testing has not been conducted.

Qt developers have not touched this branch for 18 months.

Note that this is not the XInput 2.1 solution currently in discussion on
X.org, but it is known to work. This can be a stop-gap solution for MeeGo
1.2, until the proper solution is implemented for 1.3 or 1.4.

Qt R&D does not want to invest more effort into these solutions known to be
temporary. Therefore, we're asking for volunteers for maintaining the above
branch.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358