Hi Jukka,

jukka.ekl...@nokia.com wrote:
> But I'm wondering what kind of information you are looking for, or actually
> what kind of format? As you know all the information is on featurezilla, for
> everybody to see.

A good roadmap provides a number of things:
* A vision for what the end goal is
* A list of steps required to attain the goal
* Clear labelling of ownership for each step, so that I know who is
working on something, and which steps are not currently being done
* Regular updates on progress towards the goal, as tasks are completed

> You can do queries like this:
> http://bugs.meego.com/report.cgi?x_axis_field=product&y_axis_field=component&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&classification=MeeGo+Features&product=MeeGo+Connected+TV+Features&product=MeeGo+Core+OS+Features&product=MeeGo+Handset+Features&product=MeeGo+IVI+Features&product=MeeGo+Netbook+Features&product=MeeGo+SDK+features&product=MeeGo+Tablet+Features&version=1.2&version=1.2&longdesc_type=allwordssubstr&longdesc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&deadlinefrom=&deadlineto=&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailqa_contact2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&format=table&action=wrap&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=
> (all Accepted 1.2 features in products, grouped to components)

This is a list of tasks (and problems to be addressed), but it falls
down in other ways. There is no over-arching goal - when time pressure
comes, how will tasks be prioritised to decide which ones to drop, and
which ones to finish? And there is no clear opportunity to contribute -
these tasks are, as you say, accepted features. How about the unaccepted
features, those that we'd like to have, but that there are no resources
to work on? It would be nice to use the roadmap as an opportunity to
contribute.

> BTW, for Handset there is some material already in
> http://wiki.meego.com/Roadmap, in the form of high-level presentation from
> MeeGo conference.

Thanks for the link! For some idea of what I hope to see in a roadmap,
here's one of the best community roadmaps I'm aware of, Inkscape's:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Roadmap - the roadmap breaks
down like this:

0.48 (next version): Starts with a goal for the release, then a detailed
list of tasks that must be finished before we release a new version
(includes features and bugs).

0.49 (n+1 version): Goal for the release, and some high level features
to be done (these get broken down into smaller task lists as people take
them on, after the 0.48 release)

Following releases: The most important features & goals we want to see
accomplished, but that have not been included in the next milestone.
Forms a basis for discussion after each release when discussing the
high-level goals for n+2 release.

The old roadmap for the project is here, showing how the project's
roadmap developed over the years:
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/OldRoadmap

Cheers,
Dave.