On 1/7/2011 6:11 AM, Tapio Rantala wrote:
Hi all!

There has been a lot of discussions about this subject, but
unfortunately behind closed doors. Now that I am expected to take
action, I'll bring this message forth.

We are preparing upstart so that it would be integrated in meego 1.2 and
therefore replace sysvinit as init provider.

For average meego package, this does not change much. Upstart supports
sysvinit style init scripts so they will continue to work as usual.

Hopefully the change will go smooth.

well if it doesn't it gets undone ;-)

I have put in the request already for the new upstart to be parallel as package to the fastinit package, so that for a while, there is a choice between the two.

For those who are wondering "why upstart and not systemd"; we absolutely will go to systemd for MeeGo 1.3, but for MeeGo 1.2 in April we couldn't get it done in time, especially the integration with the security framework which the Nokia team had already done for upstart.

I'd like to thank Tapio for taking on the work; he'll be busy for some time making sure all verticals will work at least as well with upstart as they do now (and until that point is reached we have the fallback of the existing package)