On 4/11/2011 5:28 AM, Juha Kallioinen wrote:
Hello,

the hardfp floating point ABI for ARM will be made default and mandatory for MeeGo 1.2 and later. This decision was made and approved back in December 2010 in the MeeGo TSG and the impact has been described in MeeGo wiki [1].

The hardfp scheduler is called armv8el and is up and running in MeeGo Trunk.

This change introduces an ABI break with MeeGo 1.1. The hardfp ABI is not compatible with the softfp ABI and because of this the packages produced by the armv8el scheduler have the architecture name .armv7hl. They cannot be installed in an armv7l system and vice versa.

can you, for completeness, list a set of ARM SOC's that this hardfp will run on...

omap3
tegra?
qualcom ?

asking because if it's only omap3 then I think this is a step in the wrong direction and we should revisit the TSG decision.