On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:07:06 +0800
"Zheng, Huan" <huan.zh...@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi, Joel
> There's a misunderstanding here, policy-settings-* does not affect
> pulseaudio daemon, it just affects ohmd daemon. Ohmd *must* start
> with a set of prolog rules which are part of policy-settings-*
> package. :)

But to clarify, a missing policy-settings-* that breaks ohmd *DOES* in
fact break tests for specific audio use cases across the platform, not
just dialers ability to handle calls and ringtones.

So I do agree with Joel here in principle that there ought to be a
fallback/default package such that ohmd does not break when a platform
specific on is missing.

Specifically, the meego-core.xml[1] pattern file includes both
ohm-plugin-ruleengine and ohm-plugin-resolver, both of which contain
configuration files that expect the file
/usr/share/policy/rules/current/policy to exist.  This file is
installed by the policy-settings-* packages, yet neither
ohm-plugin-ruleengine or ohm-plugin-resolver can actually be marked to
"Require:" any of the policy-settings-* packages because that would
pull platform specific packages into every image created, and I don't
think we even know *which* one would be pulled in since they are all in
the same repos (and all "Provide: policy-settings" as a generic
capability).

This is a problem that is begging for a harder/deeper look by the MeeGo
Release Engineering team, IMHO.

Shane...
[1]https://meego.gitorious.org/meego-os-base/package-groups/blobs/master/patterns/meego-core.xml