On Jul 27, 2008, at 7:03 PM, Chao Lu wrote:
> I'm trying to simulate an problem with meep, involving silver
> nanoparticles, which has an imaginary part in its
> epsilon(0.01+i*0.138). As I looked through the tutorials and almost
> the mailing list, didn't find any way to have meep solve this.
>
> But after I checked the latest change log , on 0.20 version, it is
> said
> ------
> Support for user-specified electric and/or magnetic conductivities.
> These are especially useful to add a desired dissipation loss (an
> imaginary part of ε/μ) in a narrow bandwidth, without messing
> around with Lorentzian dispersive materials.
> ------
> does this mean meep cam deal with this kind of metal particles who
> have imaginary part in epsilon?

All versions of Meep have been able to handle imaginary parts of
epsilon, but they do so via dispersive media. (i.e. you need to
specify a frequency dependent imaginary part, like in the physical
medium).  If you only care about the imaginary part in a narrow
bandwidth, it is convenient to set it using the conductivity.

This is described in detail by the Meep manual.  See:

http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Materials_in_Meep

especially the section on Conductivity, where I've just added an
example.

Regards,
Steven G. Johnson