Hello,

I come from a solid-state physics background and have just started using
meep, forgive me if this is obvious. I am trying to use meep to simulate the
(classical part of the) interaction of few-cycle laser pulses with metal
targets. To give some numbers,  at 800 nm central laser wavelength (period
2.7 fs) the pulse duration would be of the order of 6 fs.

For such short pulses, it is expected that the so-called carrier-envelope
phase (shift between the maximum of the carrier frequency and the envelope
function) plays a vital role for the outcome of experiments.

However, if I try to simulate the propagation of an ultra-short pulse in
vacuum, I find that contrary to my expectations, the carrier-envelope phase
does not stay constant. This remains true even for very high resolutions
(say, 5 nm = 1/160 wavelength). In fact, the rate of change appears to
converge to around 0.2 * pi/2 (that is, 1/5 of the phase difference between
a sine and a cosine pulse) per micron propagation distance.

The effect persists in 2d as well as in 3d, my simulation box size is around
7x5x5 microns and I have tried to put the source as far away from the pml (1
micron on each side) as possible. The spatial width of the source does not
have an appreciable effect (FWHM around 2 microns), so I do not think this
is due to focusing. The carrier envelope phase is extracted from the
simulation by recording the E field in several points at different distances
from the source and then fitting with a source function with free
parameters, E(r_0, t) = A cos( omega t + phi)  *  sin^2( 2pi* (t-t0)/(tau)),
which matches the recorded functions perfectly (chi <1%) but with phi
dependent on the distance to the source.

Is this a problem with the "numerical dispersion" and that ultra-short
pulses are unfortunately ideal to probe numerical dispersion? Or is this far
above what you would expect, and the simulation is not converged in some
other way? Does anyone have experience with the simulation of ultrashort
pulses with meep?

I appreciate your comments and ideas. Thank you for your time,
Best regards,
  Georg Wachter

Institute for Theoretical Physics
Vienna University of Technology