Hi all, I was thinking about how hard would it be to make MEEP use the
grid with double (or quadruple) mesh density at some specified
regions.

In 3D simulations, the computation time grows with 4th power of the
density. This makes it very hard to precisely simulate fine metallic
structures (or structures with high permittivity) if they have to be
surrounded by enough free space.

However, I do not know any principial reason why some region/chunk
could not be defined twice as dense. At least two important tasks
would need to be done: First, one has to "stitch" the fine-coarse
boundaries so that no reflections occur.

Second, the Courant criterion would require to use finer time steps in
the region of fine grid. For twice as dense grid, one time step could
just be interlaced between two other.

What do you think about this feature? Maybe one time I will read the
sources and try to write a proof of concept...
Filip