On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 02:33:07 +0800, 虞益挺 <yyt8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi   Aaron,
>
>> Dear meep users,By the 3D simulation using MEEP, the transmission
>> property at
>> wavelengths 500~1000nm of 2D periodic array of Au nanoholes has now
been
>> achieved, from which an obvious SP resonant wavelength is observed. To
>> theoretically verify the simulation results, the commonly used formula,
>> lambda(SP) = a / sqrt ( i^2 + j^2 ) * sqrt ( epsilon(Au) *
>> epsilon(dielectric) /
>> (
>> > epsilon(Au) + epsilon(dielectric )?) ), is employed. (a is the array
>> periodicity.)Then, a question occurs: for the theoretical calculation,
>> how
>> should I set the permittivity of gold? As it is a variable value
>> depending
>> on
>> the wavelength, the permittivity of which wavelength is appropriate for
>> this
>> purpose??Any comments and suggestions are welcomed, and will be highly
>> appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>

>> If you only want to verify that you've matched the SP resonance
>> condition,
>> it's
>> probably good enough to use the permittivity at a single wavelength.
Of
>> course,
>> make sure that the theoretical value is the one meep is using.
>>

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I know your meaning, and that's exactly what I want to do now. However,
the
> question is: which single wavelength is appropriate for such purpose?
> Because the permittivity of gold depends on the wavelength. I have tried
> series of calculations with different wavelengths from the aimed
spectrum
> (500~1000nm). The results for different wavelengths differ greatly.
>
> Looking forward to any further comments on this problem.
>
> Tony

It's a bit of time that I do not use MEEP, but I have got a hunch that you
need to specify the dielectric function of gold in a range of frequencies
using a Drude-Lorentz expansion - people that understand the physics and
numerics better than I do could confirm or deny, but there is a problem
with causality if using a negative epsilon without dispersion (with or
without an imaginary part).

I suggest you have a look at this

http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Meep_Tutorial/Material_dispersion

and this

http://www.mail-archive.com/meep-discuss@ab-initio.mit.edu/msg03871.html

Doing a Google search I have furthermore found this: which I did not
check, so I cannot say it is completely correct, but looks helpful

http://www.torrkish.com/index.php/research/34-meep/46-lorentz-drude-expansion-in-meep

Giovanni