It's certainly possible to make a unidirectional source in MPB, using a combination of electric and magnetic currents. (This is what the "total-field/scattered-field" approach does.) However, if you want it to be unidirectional to high precision, you have to very carefully account for discretization effects and numerical dispersion when setting up your mode amplitudes, and this gets complicated very quickly for things like gaussian pulses (as opposed to single- frequency planewaves).

However, from my perspective I've never seen much reason to do this. The usual motivation to try to get a unidirectional sources is to separate the incident field from the scattered field (because the field behind a unidirectional source is only the scattered field, that makes it easy). However, to me it is much easier just to do two simulations, using Meep's feature to subtract the Fourier transforms as explained in the Meep tutorial, than to implement a high-precision wide-bandwidth unidirectional source.

On Jul 13, 2012, at 11:42 AM, Eric CASSAN wrote:
I would have a very similar question as the one raised by Puck. It seems that nobody has replied to him.

Would you know a way to do this?

Thank you.

    With best regards,
                                Eric

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ======================================================================
From: Puck Ja <puckja@...>
Subject: Unidirectional Gaussian beam
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.science.electromagnetism.meep.general
Date: 2008-02-11 15:15:03 GMT (4 years, 21 weeks, 6 days and 25 minutes ago)

Hi,

I have followed some discussions and tried to make Gaussian beam with success. However, the beam is bi-directional, which means that it will propagate away from the source plane toward both normal directions (or with some "tilting" angle). There are some unidirectional source for FDTD (the beam only propagate in one side of source plane). I wonder if anybody has done that or if it is possible with MEEP.

Thanks!

Puck

_______