On 02/27/2018 05:12 PM, Priscilla Kelly wrote:

I am trying to input a specialized complex permittivity using an HDF5 file
using epsilon-input-file but I have run into problems with how the data needs
to be represented. I have frequency data and

Currently, only frequency-independent, real-valued permittivities can be imported as an HDF5 file. In general, since Meep is a time-domain solver, the only way to model frequency-dependent complex permittivites is by fitting the data to a Drude-Lorentzian susceptibility profile <http://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Materials/#material-dispersion>. Note that we recently added a materials library <http://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Materials/#materials-library> for 11 metals commonly used in optoelectronic devices. For narrowband or frequency-independent calculations involving complex epsilon, you can instead specify the conductivity <http://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Materials/#conductivity-and-complex> (to speed up these kinds of calculations, you may want to consider using Meep's frequency-domain solver <http://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Python_User_Interface/#frequency-domain-solver>).