On 11/13/2018 3:58 AM, Chee Fai wrote:

I found that, with eps averaging on, harminv would still work when the resolution is at 42. However, harminv would fail when the resolution is increased to 44 (originally 40). Also, the mode field output is completely off.

For your reference, we recently added a new FAQ on finding resonant modes using Harminv:

https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/FAQ/#harminv-is-unable-to-find-the-resonant-modes-of-my-structure

I would appreciate it if you could consider the following feature requests:

1) Independent resolution for different axes:

Providing support for non-uniform resolutions would be a major undertaking and one is which not part of our near-term plans. It is possible using transformation optics to vary the spatial resolution without any changes to the underlying code. This is described in the notes linked to in this FAQ:

https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/FAQ/#does-meep-support-a-non-uniform-grid

2) Cylinder with major and minor axes / an elliptical cylinder

There is already an Ellipsoid object with these properties which is described in the documentation: https://meep.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Python_User_Interface/#geometricobject.