Your points are well taken Harley.

My main contention on this issue is that by increasing the CLA levels of grainfed beef by 5,10, or 50% or whatever seems illogical when we can increase it by 500% with a feeding program that requires even less input. We actually decrease levels of CLA by feeding a high starch diet. Adding high cost supplements to correct a problem we created in the first place makes no sense. But it is typical of many paths that modern research follows. Anyone who is concerned about increasing the CLA levels of their diet should simply eat grass fed milk and meat products. A "new and improved" "higher CLA" grain fed product would be nothing more than a marketing ploy to deceive consumers. Grain fed beef certainly has it's place in the market but not as a CLA enhancing product!

I'm also not condemning all research. I'm personally involved with a research project with 2 universities looking at fatty acid profiles in bone marrow of grass fed cattle. Hopefully the results will be published sometime in the near future.

Kevin Fulton