You need two things, first the memcached server itself, which I presume you
already have and have been able to install.

If you want to test that it's running, you can simply telnet to it and issue
commands like

stats

or

set foo 0 0 12
Hello World!

and

get foo

The second part you need is a client library. Which one you get is highly
dependent on which programming language you intend to use, but there's a big
list of libraries here: http://code.google.com/p/memcached/wiki/Clients

Most clients come with examples and tutorials on how to use them, and
exactly which method calls are available depends on the client. If you were
to use C# and my client, you'd use it like this:
http://code.google.com/p/beitmemcached/wiki/Examples

/Henrik