Hey,

You might want to consider using 'add' with a zero byte value (or just a
single byte value, whatever). Then every time you just run the single add
command. If it fails you're fetching too fast. If it works then the key
didn't exist already.

There're a bunch of ways of doing more proper rate limiting if you ever
need it - google around and check the FAQ.

-Dormando