> Please use the correct term to avoid confusion :(
> Authentication is a different concept from access control.

Point taken :)

> Obviously, it is valueable.
>
> My proposition is just a framework to host an additional access control
> feature without any assumption for security models. In other word, the
> default installation does not apply any access controls, unless
> administrator explicitly set up its own security module.
>
> Please note that any security solution has its own assumption, so the
> preferable answer depending on the situation.
> In our assumption, it is difficult to keep application bug/vulnerability
> free, so we need to minimize the number of points to be checked.
> It is also why operating system checks filesystem permission on the system
> call invocations, not application side.

Like I said, I understand your argument. The question is what
proportion of the users would benefit from this? To be honest I don't
have the answer for this. However, taking into account that memcached
has been used worldwide
without serious complaints by players of all sizes in it's history, I
don't think it's necessary. Damn, I was even skeptical of the SASL
support at the beginning (I agree with this now though). I just don't
want to see memcached get bloated by adding database-like
functionalities.

However, I have nothing against people providing this functionality
inside their engines. In fact, I think it would be fantastic! This was
my original view of the Engine Project (additional things should be
provided by the engine) which was fortunately embraced by the
community. The binary protocol turned out to be useful for this too.

> BTW, Is the storage engine stackable? If not so, it seems to me we will
> face a tradeoff between persistent storage and access controls.

No. It's not stackable. If you want to do this you'd have to create an
abstraction layer within the storage engine. There were discussions on
this a while back though (I forget if it was online or offline).

Cheers,
Toru

Toru Maesaka <d...@torum.net>