On 2010-10-14 11:08:59 -0700, Sakuntala wrote:
> I am using
> memcached server version 1.4.4 on Linux and
> spy memcached client version 2.4.2
>
> I performed a test by storing and retrieving objects of size 1.8MB and
> 3.6MB. I am able to retrieve the objects successfully without any
> error. My load tests show some timeout exceptions when memcached
> server is under heavy load, which is expected.
>
> Memcached wiki website states that one of the reasons we should not be
> using memcached is if the object size exceeds 1MB. I want to know if
> this is a hard limit, or just that memcached is not efficient in that
> scenario due to the storage model.

Yes, it's a hard limit (but you can recompile memcached if you want a
higher limit). But most client libraries can compress the
objects before storing it. If you have enabled compression in spy
memcached client (which might be the default) it is possible that you
can store items much larger than 1MB if they compress well.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Openmoko has already embedded
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | voting system.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |  -- Ilja O. on commun...@lists.openmoko.org