Uhh, try 128MB? or higher?

Are you adjusting the slab factor size? The minimum amount of memory
memcached uses is 1MB * the number of slab classes + some misc stuff (the
hash table, buffers, etc). 48M should be enough tho...

Just in case; if you're asking if you set the memory limit to 128M, and
you store 256M of data, what happens? That should work, and you should see
'evictions' increasing in the 'stats' output. As it'll eject the oldest
data to make room for newer data. You can start it with -M I think if you
want to have it get pissed off once it's full.