just a obs
hash is for server selection, a fast hash function = no problems on
performance (low latency)
in some libraries you can do your hash function too, read source code
and documents of you client library (for a better help in memcached
mail group, use memcached based libraries, try to not use independent
libraries since you can use diferent hash algorithms and put data on
one server and read from another = bad cache hit rate)

--
Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial