It's not even a network problem, it's an application design problem.

Even if all you wanted to do was load balance a user session (user ID
& some other text-based info) across data centers, it's not that
trivial, particularly if you didn't plan for that up front. At the
bare minimum all you need is a session ID, but the easiest way to do
that is with a session server specifically for this purpose. Even with
1 LB, 2 Web Heads and 1 DB server in the same subnet in the cloud,
it's the same problem - user uploads something to X but their next
request is served by Y.

The content belongs on a CDN. It sounds to me like you are describing
one of the most common use cases for one. You don't need to know the
user went to server X or Y since their session is on server S and the
content is on CDN and S & CDN are both accessible to X & Y. This
architecture is  commonplace (now) but I wouldn't say it's `drop dead
easy`.

Just my $0.02 -