> Dormando,
>
> What exactly do you mean by stack? Do you mean buffering?
>
> I've tried a few options from libmemcached: buffering and no_reply.
> Both of them seem to make things much much faster.
>
> With buffering it does 150k/s with no_reply ~750k/s. So it seems
> memcached itself is lightning fast it's just the TCP roundtrip slowing
> it down.

It's not going to go faster than the roundtrip, and given your numbers
that roundtrip is already really low. I mean to run two of your tests at
the same time, in parallel. The mc-crusher benchmark actually iterates
through many connections so it doesn't have to wait for roundtrips.

Unless your application *needs* to run a single thread and hit memcached
in a loop without issuing multigets or multisets (no_reply), your test
won't represent reality anyway. In most cases you have multiple procs on
many application servers hitting it in parallel.