Hello,

We run memcached version 1.4.4-3.el6 for session caching with our Moodle environment. We are finding that memcached suddenly stops working after a couple of weeks, and we are keen to try and work towards resolving this.

When in the failed state:

1. memcached is still running.
2. There is nothing untoward in dmesg or syslog.
3. We are able to connect to the memcache socket (TCP Port 11211) using telnet. However, the telnet session hangs (indefinitely) after entering ‘stats’ then pressing return
4. No swap is being used by machine running memcached

No evictions have been logged. Cache hit ratio averages 98%. % used storage of memcache averages 3.1% with a max value of 7.5%.

We also have lots of XYMon metrics / stats available - however, these don’t show anything unusual at the time that memcached fails.

How do we go about troubleshooting this ? (The failed condition only occurs in our production Moodle instance - i.e. we haven’t been able to replicated it in testing/dev.)

Thanks,

Patrick Rynhart

Systems Engineer
Infrastructure Support Section