Hi,
Since the best performance are usually achieved with #threads = #cores and
its recommended to run memcached with #worker_threads = #cores.
I was wondering why does memcached have a specific thread to accept new
connections rather than have the worker threads accept new connections?

One possible explanation I found is the
Thundering_herd_problem<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundering_herd_problem>.
But I would imagine that CPU cycles would be wasted on accept only on
otherwise idle core which I would Imagine is not an issue for most
installations, am I wrong?

I was wondering If any one could elaborate on this? Was it discussed in the
past? Is accepting new connections a rare enough event that it doesn't make
a difference?

Thanks,
Ilya