hum,
does the new option in kernel 3.10 about SO_REUSEPORT, could allow a
better new connection performace? or it doesn't make any sense?

https://lwn.net/Articles/542629/
http://linux.dell.com/files/presentations/Linux_Plumbers_Conf_2010/Scaling_techniques_for_servers_with_high_connection%20rates.pdf

2013/8/18 dormando <dorma...@rydia.net>:
>> Hi,Since the best performance are usually achieved with #threads = #cores
>> and its recommended to run memcached with #worker_threads = #cores.
>> I was wondering why does memcached have a specific thread to accept new
>> connections rather than have the worker threads accept new connections?
>>
>> One possible explanation I found is the Thundering_herd_problem. But I would
>> imagine that CPU cycles would be wasted on accept only on otherwise idle
>> core which I would Imagine is not an issue for most installations, am I
>> wrong?
>>
>> I was wondering If any one could elaborate on this? Was it discussed in the
>> past? Is accepting new connections a rare enough event that it doesn't make
>> a difference?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ilya
>
> It's been that way for a long, long time. It does help with the thundering
> heard problem, and tests over the years have shown that it still performs
> better that way.
>
> If some day the opposite becomes true, we either switch back or add an
> option.
>
> The foruma is 'worker_threads =~ cores', just pretend the accept thread
> doesn't count unless your workload never uses persistent connections.
> There're also some background threads that're usually idle and won't count
> to that total.
>
> --
>
> ---

Roberto Spadim