I am running some tests using memached 1.4.22 over an Intel Xeon E5 (4
sockets with 8 core each, 2 Hyper threads per core, and 4 NUMA nodes) and
running Ubuntu trusty. I compiled memcached with gcc-4.8.2 with default
CFLAGS and configuration options.

The problem is whenever I start memcached with odd number of server threads
(3,5,7,9,11,..) everything is ok, and all threads are engaging in
processing requests, the status of all threads are "Running". However, if I
start the server with even number of threads (2,4,6,8,..), half of the
threads are always in sleep mode and do not engage in servicing clients.
This is related to memached, as memaslap, for example, is running with no
such pattern. I ran the exact test on an AMD Opteron and things are ok with
memached. So my question is: is there any specific tuning required for
Intel machines? Is there any specific flag or some part of the code that
might cause worker threads to not engage?

Thanks,
Saman