Anecdotal datapoint: I have a machine with 2xE5520 (Xeon server processor
from 2009) which does ~300k requests/s, and handles ~400Mbps of network
traffic, but only using ~5% of the CPU.

It's been my experience that you will saturate your network way before
you'll saturate your CPU on pretty much any current hardware.