I thought there were people who worked on memcached at amazon? Can you ask
them?

If you want to truly understand it you'll have to go through the sources,
unfortunately. In the github repo there're some files in doc/ that give
high level context to how the LRU works and so forth.

There's some higher level information here:
https://github.com/memcached/memcached/wiki/UserInternals

.. and I tend to leave some comments in the code. it's in pretty bad need
of cleanups and can be hard to understand in spots.