Depends on the drive and how often you're accessing the data.

You can fetch keys from a memcached server by the millions per second. no
disk device can do that yet. You can also write faster without wearing
out the device.

and, fundamentally, the point of it being over the network is to avoid
having to distribute both updates and invalidations to a pool of machines.