There's no way to retrieve the metadata back from an item aside from the
client flags as part of a normal command.

What people typically do is embed the original TTL into the object you've
stored. that way the application can read it or any other metadata you
want to make decisions with.

Though I see you said "by hand" - are you debugging something or designing
a flow in your app to remove stale data?

If you're debugging, "lru_crawler metadump" will get you the data, but you
need a newer version I think.