In a message dated 6/15/2007 6:06:51 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

'Hot'  bulbs have short lives.  There's some nasty power  (mathematical)
function at work there.  The brightness goes up a lot,  but the life
goes down a lot faster.

'Standard' bulbs are standard,  because the balance between light
and life was felt to be acceptable.   You have to pay to play in
that arena.  Myself, I just use regular  bulbs, potentially high-wattage
(un-blue) bulbs that are still quite cheap  yet work very well.

Jim and all,

The new Silver Stars do have a shorter rated life, but 1 year of "light"  use
should not take one out!  I would jump Sylvania on it.

Or you can step up to HID.  I just went to HID (4300K) on my ML which  used
the H7 55 watt halogen lamp for low beams.  The ML lenses diffused the  light
so well that it was often difficult to tell if they were even on.
The HIDs light up the Botts Dotts on the freeway with an incredible flat
beam!  And they are legal in all states!

The HID uses just 35 watts and gives 3 times the light and 10 times the  life
of Halogen.  The HID Kits are available for nearly all lenses using
replaceable halogen bulbs.  My set was just over $100 delivered from an  Ebay
dealer.

I first installed a pair of HID lights on my dune buggy over 4 years  ago.
My eyes were getting old and I needed more light than the four  halogen lights
I was running.  What a difference!  The white light  makes shadows on the
dunes a 1000 feet away.  The Off-road boys run as  many as 8 of these and their
investment runs in the thousands, just for good  lighting.  The design of HID
seems to permit them to take a lot of pounding  without failure.  There is no
filament, just two pins that energize the gas  in the lamps.

Just my $0.02

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ