Jim,

    i think if you look into it further, you may find that while HID
lights are legal in all states as installed by the vehicle
manufacturers, there are no HID 'upgrade kits' that are legal in any state.
    that said, most of the H4 Q-H lights aren't legal either, but that's
due more to the archaic DOT regulations than the fact that the HID
'upgrade' kits don't put the source of the light in the same place that
the original bulb did, and that the reflectors weren't designed for HID
light sources.

    of course you can buy approved HID Fog and/or Driving lamps and
mount them separately, but regulations on use of those varies by state
as well; fortunately for those of us who travel, you only have to comply
with the regulations of the state the vehicle is registered in.

cheers!