Craig, it is a non turbo engine which would definately make it a gray
market car. The US models all had turbos and the first W124 sold in
the US was 1987.

I would check with your insurance co to be sure you can obtain
coverage as some don't like to insure gray market cars.

I would also check to be sure it has a current registration.

Sounds like a fun car though with the 5 speed manual.
John