That was in the early 50s and they cost $1.95 or thereabouts. You had to use ether to start them. One cold winter day we were heating some diesel in a tobacco can lid and one of the guys added some ether. It wasn't too long till if went "POOF' and there were three youngsters with no eyebrows, less of a hairline and red faces from the burn. We had a bit of explaining to do but we were a bit more careful the next weekend and got the thing going. Quite noisy as I recall. For the next project we saved up and boght a ram jet that was advertised at about the same time. It was quite a bit more fun., but that's a longer story.

73
Hank WD5JFR
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:51 AM
Subject: [MBZ] Small diesel

What is the smallest diesel engine commercially available? Maybe something like lawnmower size, a few HP? I think I recall seeing back when I was a kid (more than 10 20 30 years ago) some little model airplane engines that were diesels (come to think of it, the 2 cycle screamers were compression engines I guess, with a glow plug to start them, ran on nitromethane or whatever that stuff was that Cox sold you in a can, and it burned very hot with no visible flame, and stung like hell) but I might be misremembering. Are there some that are used in trucks to run gensets or A/C units while they are stopped?

--R