OK Don wrote:
The ACC fired right up this morning (80+) - and worked all the way to
work. This evening, (98F), I could feel the compressor running, and
feel cool air coming from the appropriate vents, at 70 MPH with the
windows cracked, but the fan didn't come on for the first 10 miles or
so. Then it suddenly turned on. I didn't loose cooling at all.

So - I have sporatic random failures of different parts of the system.
I did re-solder all the joints in the push button unit last summer,
but I'm not discounting failure in it.

Is the pushbutton unit, the control unit, or something else the most
likely suspect???

The monovalve has NOTHING to do with the fan. If the engine temp sensor or the pushbutton control circuitry that controls when the fan can run (after the engine warms up a little) is operating erratically, you COULD have the problem you describe. Try punching the defrost button and then go back to the setting you want ands see if that h=gets the fan to run.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm