Don,

Don't rush to the conclusion that there is a problem.  The fan system
is automatic, and will control the speed of the fan to meet the
requirements in the cabin.  You say you didn't loose cooling at all, so
the sytem may well have been satisfied.  The fan may have been coasting
on low till the system told it to get busy.

The ACC system has a lot of neat features.  The fan wont come on during
a cold morning till the coolant reaches a particular temperature, just
to keep from blowing cold air in your face on an already raw day.
Considerate, these cars....

As Marshall said, you can force the fan with the defrost mode.
However, if the cabin is comfortable, your system is probably working
great.  If you are not at the bottom of the temp control wheel, you can
spin it to the coldest setting and demand more from the system, often
causing the fan to move to a higher speed in automatic.

Richard
K4PKV
"If God didn't want me to run high power, he wouldn't have made big
tubes" Don - W7FN