I'm not sure what radio you have, but on my 84 300SD I have a Becker Brand Prix Electronc. I had the same problem and while visiting Aurora Auto Wrecking in Seattle (near where I live) they showed me that the faceplate was replaceable without having to replace the entire radio/tape player. For about $50 I got a new radio facepiece.

Dennis Perkins
84 300SD