Mac,
The engine in question was first utilized in the 86 W126 model and
only the West Coast models had the dreaded Trap Oxidizer installed.
For 1987 both the W126 and W124 had the TO installed.

The TO caused the engine to overheat and do damage to the aluminum
heads. Most TO's have been removed as MB had (has?) a campaign to
replace the TO free of charge.

Just my opinion, but I believe the 86 W126 w/o the TO may have less
frequency of cracked heads.

There have been some other upgrades as well over the years such as the
vacuum pump and the surpentine belt system.

John