Michael,
MY 1970 280S only had one screw.  A quick look at the old, ragged, 5%
loose-leaf manual indicates that high idle speed is to be adjusted on the
FRONT carburetor only, for thermostatic chokes.  The spec was 2500-2700 rpm,
warm engine, perfect idle (more about that in a sec), vacuum hose for
ignitiion changeover removed from distributor (as of US model year 1970).
You can only adjust the idle speed with the throttle wide open (to access
the screw), so you must stop the engine for each turn of the screw.  The
book says 1/2 turn of the screw will get you 200-300 rpm (in=higher,
out=lower), and says to repeat the check on the other (rear) carb only in
case of carbs without thermostatically controlled choke valves.  As far as a
perfect idle, good luck!!!  I found that my Unisyn carb flow meter was close
enough, once I got the secondary throttle valves properly adjusted (probably
closed), to balance the air intake for front and rear carbs.  Irregardless,
I found myself partially disassembling one or both carbs at least every
couple of months, for a rough idle/idle miss, invariably caused by plugged
idle jet (the long tube with an extremely small origice at its bottom).  I'm
not sure I ever conquered the problem, or identified its true cause.  Dirt
and an occasional spider would find their way into the float bowl, despite
clean fuel and air filters, good gaskets, plastic plugs over the choke
linkage,etc.  Clearing the idle tube would always return the car to full,
smooth power output at idle and off-idle.  The only other early maintenance
headaches I recall were the exhaust heat valves hanging up, but I believe
new thermostatic springs and the right lubricant finally fixed that problem.

The factory service manual I have doesn't list 250S, but if you can't find
anything else, make me an offer of less than $20, pay for shipping or pick
it up in Herndon VA, and it's yours.  Or try Rusty for the correct manual.
I also have a chassis and or climate manual here as well for 114 and 115
chassis, of the same vintage, but in better shape.  Neither of these two
factory manuals has seen much use over the last 20 yrs.
Mike Boerner
87 300sdl,  87 300d,  01 ml320