Parking brake dragging?

At 04:44 PM 7/5/2005, you wrote:
I have been trying without success to diagnose a squeaky sound from somewhere in my 240D. This seems to happen while just rolling along a country road, usually after touching the brakes. The sound of a bird or cricket chirping will occure for 3 or 4 revolutions of the wheels and is quite loud. I have checked all the pads and they are good. I have ruled out the parking brake and I am leaning toward rear hub bearings. I have not yet ruled out rear brakes but can tell you that stepping on the brake peddle has no effect on the noise with the exception of a slight clicking on the left rear. The noise startes just cruising along about 30-40mph, it doesn't seem to matter if I touch the brake pedal or not, but it does seem to occure more frequently after touching the brake peddle. I'm thinking either the pads, caliper hanging, or rear-hub bearings at this point. Nothing in the PO's records of the rear hubs or calipers being rebuilt, but I did change the rear pads (both sides) last summer. The rear hubs on both sides are very hot to the touch after a short trip, (say less than 10 miles).
Brian from Columbia MO
'82 240D 285,7XX