On the side that was causing the problem, yes the hub is only slightly warm after a 10 mile trip. Didn't check the other side, I still suspect some brake drag as the pads I put on last summer are down about 40%. The calipers move freely. Hoses?
Brian from Columbia MO
'82 240D 275,8XX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marshall Booth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] squeaky something

Brian Baker wrote:

....The rear hubs on both sides are very hot to the touch after a short trip, (say less than 10 miles).

And then later:

Loren suggested parking brake dragging.  NOPE!
 Peter said parking brake or time to rebuild caliper. NOPE!
It was easier than I thought to fix this problem. While checking out what Loren and Peter said I noticed the half-axle bolt on the passenger side was loose and the half-axle was jiggling around near the hub, (is "jiggling" a good automotive term?) I tightened and torqued the bolt, and now I have no more squeaky something.

Did the rear hubs cool down??

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm