How's the ignition? Does your car have that bastardized semi-electronic/semi-breaker point setup with the control box conveniently located under the battery tray? If so, an aftermarket electronic ignition like a Pertronix would make a big difference. The stock setup is a huge headache.

I'd also second the advisory to look at the fuel cutoff solenoids in the carburetor bases. If they aren't energizing, your car will never run right.

Russ M

Uhmmmmm....

To bew honest, Russ, I don't know jack about this ignition set-up yet. But I do know that it starts well when it starts, and does give a good spark when I check at the plugs!

Now, as for those "fuel cutoff selenoids" in the "base of the carburetor," I don;t suppose those are the long, culindrical items that are sticking into the base of the carbs from thew front side with a red wire running to them?

If so, that is a new problem...When removing the carbs I accidentally tore one of them, but figured they were something like the choke, and likely I could at least get things running without them working right. Problem is that I broke the wire RIGHT where it goes into the selenoid, and there wasn't even enough remnant wire to try and splice together or anything.

SO, next question-where do I find another fuel cutoff selenoid???

THANKS for mentioning this-I thought I could get a ballpark idea of how well it would run without worrying about this, but apparently this may be a problem!!!

Michael