Those of you familiar with the 722.6 tranny (used in I believe all e and c class cars 96 - ??, for sure in my 97 e320) know the fluid is supposed to be a "lifetime" fluid. Well, I do not believe in lifetime fluid so I ordered a filter and the special $8/L fluid from Rusty awhile back and finally had a chance to change it this past weekend. The car had about 130K on the original fluid and boy did it look it. I drained the pan first, and almost thought I pulled the oil drain plug by mistake. There was zero evidence the fluid was ever red, as it looked more like old brownish green motor oil. Drained the torque converter and dropped the pan. To my surprise (and delight), the bottom of the pan was very clean and there really wasn't any "gunk" on the bottom. Installed the new filter and re-installed the pan. Also replaced the wire harness adapter while I was under there that is know to wick fluid to the computer. Filled with 4 liters, started the car to refill the converter, then installed another 3.3 L to bring her to the correct level.

Ran out of time for a test drive, and still haven't done one, but hopefully all is well.

Dave W

82 300SD
90 300TE
97 E320