who cares? the only thing a good credit rating is good for is to get into debt.

if you don't have the money -- don't buy it!

I learned that the hard way. Just now recovering. wrote a check for the last of my student loans last week, bought an Odyssey with a check this week.

one remaining credit card is sitting pretty at 0% interest until April, I'll have it paid off long before then.

We'll own our house outright in 5 years. (bought it a year and a half ago)

My first credit card was in college -- $500 limit. I went out and bought a digital camera for almost $400. A few months later I got a $10K limit Discover Plutonium card. (or something like that) A new Powerbook, iPod and a few vacations later I had $9K on it. Graduated college, got a teaching job making $33K a year and went out and bought a $24,000 jetta (TDI wagon -- loved it!)

I didn't know any better. My parents never had consumer debt and never taught me anything about it. All I knew is I got free t-shirts for filling out credit card applications outside the dining hall.

Met the redhead, and at the time had a $15K car loan (with $518 monthly payments) had $8500 on a credit card and a $5000 student loan balance. Signed a contract on a house, sold the Jetta (for $2K more than I owed -- gas prices were high and TDIs were scarce) and started driving $800 cars. cut up the credit cards and ended up saving $15K to put down on this house.

My wife and I are both school teachers in our third year of teaching. It's a good income, but not anywhere near six figures.

Spend less than you make. Have an emergency fund (a la Dave Ramsey) and pay more than minimum payments and don't use plastic.

Hopefully  that inspires someone out there.

-Sealover
83 300D
84 300D future parts car
77 300D present parts car (free to good home, FOB York PA)
95 Odyssey EX
98 Breeze (wife's)
91 Aerostar XLT ($500 obo)
76 CB750F