I turned off the engine, let the pressure off, restarted the engine then added the coolant. It was not pegged anymore but still running way way too hot. It may not have been filled up all the way, I will mess with it some more here in a little bit. She said the light was not on and the temp was not hot, the car was in the driveway running less than 1 min. I tried to explain how it was impossible for all the coolant to have gone bye bye that quick without being spewed all over the ground. There was none. Cant argue with a woman.

Steve MacSween wrote:

someone claiming to be [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I glance over at the temp guage, the damn thing is pegged, the coolant light is
on. CRAP.  So I slowly let the radiator cap off, it pukes steam for
probably 5 minutes before all the pressure is gone.  Crap.  Put more
coolant in it, with cap off is sometimes(most of the time) flows out.
Crap.  Well, if the head was not screwed before it sure  is now.

Okay, but I always understood that unless you think the coolant has
completely leaked out, the best thing to do is to leave the car running,
open the hood, and turn on the heater as high and hot as you can and try to
lower the temps a bit before you switch off and try to put in more coolant.

Now would be a good time to ask if this is partly or completely true, as I
have never had to deal with a full-scale meltdown like this one, only
engines running close to the red.

Mac