I think you can expect the debate about ethanol to get nastier as time goes
on and the marketplace increasingly looks for alternatives to fossil fuels.

I recently witnessed it firsthand on an Australian performance cars list I
also happen to belong to. If you heard the disinformation campaign claims
about ethanol now being taken at face value in the Aus media, you'd fall off
your collective chair. I thought someone was having a joke, at first.

Both the oil companies AND the major automakers are saying that even going
to a TEN PERCENT ethanol blend in Aus will destroy the fuel systems on many
vehicles due to rotting out soft fuel lines, clogging pumps, blah blah. The
media has taken the cause to heart and is stirring up all manner of concern
in the public.

What floored me was that this was being taken as gospel on a list that
includes guys who tear down their engines for giggles on a Saturday. This is
a very, very savvy bunch and they were basically convinced ethanol blending
would spark the end of the automotive world. A number of these guys are
automotive techs in their day jobs and their employers are handing out tech
literature that says this.

They were flabberghasted when the few North Americans on the list chimed in
saying we've been driving ethanol blends for up to 12 years or more in some
areas. They simply would not believe it. Not sure if they still do.

The big oil is not interested in energy alternatives, any more than big
tobacco has ever been interested in public health.

Mac